Announcing CKS:DEV at http://cksdev.CodePlex.com
As you may know, Visual Studio 2010 has enhanced our ability to extend its functionality. Several SharePoint developer productivity extension projects have been merged into a single uber SharePoint Development Tools Edition of the Community Kit for SharePoint.
This excellent work is the collective effort of the following brilliant guys:
While we have more ideas in the works, this initial release is already huge. It includes the following productivity aids (and more) categorized as follows...
- SharePoint References - Adds a SharePoint tab to the Add Reference dialog.
- Copy Assembly Name - Copies the assembly name of a SharePoint project onto the clipboard.
- Sandbox Compile - Compiles the project against the SharePoint subset object model to ensure the code only uses subset OM features.
- View Feature Dependencies - Adds subnodes to the Feature node to drill down into feature dependencies.
- View Feature Elements - Adds subnodes to the Feature node to drill down into feature element definitions. Also allows to open the XML definition of each element.
- Activate / Deactivate Feature - Adds a content menu item to each feature node to enable and disable the feature on the current site, site collection, web application or farm.
- List Site Columns - Browse site columns and view their properties.
- List Themes - Browse themes and view their properties.
- View Master Page and Page Layout Gallery - Adds the Master Page Gallery node which allows you to browse through Master Pages and Page Layouts. Additionally it allows you to view and edit the contents of the files from the Master Page Gallery.
- List Web Parts - Browse Web Parts and view their properties.
- Copy ID - Adds context menu items to various nodes to quick copy the unique ID value, for instance for features or content types.
- Copy Web Part - Copies the .webpart definition to the clipboard to quickly paste a Web Part into a <AllUsersWebPart> node.
- View List Event Receivers - Adds a subnode to the List node to drill down into Event Receivers associated with the List.
- View Style Library - Adds the Style Library node which allows you to browse through the contents of the Style Library. Additionally it allows you to view and edit the contents of the files from the Style Library.
- Get SPMetal Definition - Adds a menu item to lists and sites that allows you to generate the SPMetal definition for the given object.
- Create Page Layout from Content Type - Adds a menu to content types that allows you to generate the contents of a Page Layout for the given Content Type.
- Sandboxed Visual Web Part - A visual Web Part that can be deployed as part of a sandboxed solution.
- SP Metal Definition - Adds an SPMetal parameter XML file to the project and auto-generates the code based on that configuration using a Visual Studio Custom Tool (like resx files).
- Custom Action Group - Simple XML based custom action group project item SPI.
- Custom Action - Simple XML based custom action project item SPI.
- Hide Custom Action - Simple XML based hide custom action project item SPI.
- Delegate Control - Simple XML based delegate control project item SPI.
- Console Application - A SharePoint Console Application template to easily create scratch applications.
- Quick Deploy Commands - Adds a submenu to the context menu of SharePoint projects that allow you to quickly deploy using any deployment configuration.
- Auto Quick Deploy - If project-level properties are set, automatically copies deployed files into the SharePoint installation folder whenever a file is saved, or automatically copies deployed assemblies if the project is built.
- Copy Assemblies - Copies all deployed assemblies to the relevant BIN folders and the Global Assembly Cache, for use as part of an X-Copy quick deploy.
- Copy Files - Copies all deployed files into the SharePoint installation folder, for use as part of an X-Copy quick deploy.
- Install Features - Installs the feature into the SharePoint feature storage, for use as part of an X-Copy quick deploy.
- Upgrade Solution - Performs a solution upgrade instead of a retract / deploy combination.
- Recreate Site - Deletes the site collection and recreates it with the same name, type and settings. Used to quickly create a new greenfield for testing.
- Reset IIS - Resets the Internet Information Server which can be useful during testing of site definitions.
- Reset Timer Service - Resets the SharePoint timer service.
- Warm-up Site - Executes a HTTP request to the root of the current deployment site to warm it up after a IIS recycle.
- Install Web Application Content - Copies Web Application specific content from the SharePoint installation folder into the IIS web application folders.
- Run PowerShell Script - Executes PowerShell script(s)
Of course, we'd love to hear what you'd like to see us include in the next release.
PS: This is so big, I thought it was worthy of an inaugural tweet!